It was only yesterday when it happened. Come to think of it, it was probably the most unintellegent mistake I've made this year. I figured out that the only things that you need to be completely embarrassed by the entire floor are earphones, an MP3, and a half-awoken mind.
The problem is that when you put your earphones on, you lose total awareness of the volume of your own voice. Have you ever noticed that when you try to talk while listening to music, you sound awkward and jagged? This is because of the fact that you can't hear your own voice. This becomes a problem because it is almost impossible for you to adjust the volume of your voice. It wasn't my first mistake, either. I had made the same error a few days ago, but I was stil senseless enough to make an identical blunder. So this is what happened.
It wasn't that embarrassing, not as much as funny or stupid. It was the second self study period, and I was charging my roommate's MP3 player so that I could listen to it all day after it was done. I am a very impatient person, however, and since I couldn't listen to any songs or two days in a row, I eagerly interrupted its rest and turned the MP3 on. Because I had finished everything that I had to do, from writing my diary (which was required by the PA's) to finishing my final touches on a history presentation, I laid back and let my mind fly off to a world of beats and rythm. This was the worst mistake I could possibly make in a place that was as quiet as a graveyard; to fall asleep during second self study period, with my earphones on, and again, no ability whatsoever to adjust the volume of my own voice. Thinking that I had accidently fallen asleep, one of my roommates shook me awake. There is something I would like to make clear here. I had just been awoken abruptly from a very deep sleep, and so I had an equal intensity of deep dizziness.I blurted out nonsense which, in addition to its absurdity on its own, was in Korean. What I said roughly translates to: "WHAT? I WASN'T SLEEPING." Although I couldn't make sure how loud I actually was, I must have said it pretty loudly, because most people around me laughed out loud. I must have been heard all across the room and so a PA walked up to me and asked for an explanation of my behavior. I almost got a yellow card there, but the PA only gave me a harsh warning and walked away.
My roommates and I laughed about it for a long time before we went to sleep, and I admit it; I must have sounded like a mentally retarded person. From this experience, I learned an important lesson: never listen to music during the second self study period.
No comments:
Post a Comment